Skip to content

Happy National Rail Day!

November 7th 2012 by Yves Desjardins-Siciliano

The Canadian

In the spirit of Canada’s National Rail Day, here’s an opportunity to learn a little about VIA Rail, your national passenger rail service!

 

Did You Know That VIA Rail Is…

 

1. A CROWN CORPORATION

Its operations are funded by ticket sales (54%) while the remaining deficit (46%) is subsidized by the Government of Canada.

 

 

2. ACROSS CANADA

VIA Rail has up to 497 departures weekly, it connects over 450 Canadian communities,

and transports 4.1 million passengers yearly.

 

 

3. FROM SEA TO SEA

VIA Rail serves 3 markets: Remote communities, Long-distances to Vancouver (the Canadian) and Halifax (the Ocean) and the Québec City – Windsor Corridor.

 

 

4. TRANSFORMING ITSELF

Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested close-to $1 Billion in modernizing VIA trains, expanding its tracks, building and renovating its stations and introducing new technology.

 

 

5. FOR ALL CANADIANS

VIA Rail has invested $12.1 Million since 2007 into maintaining its leadership in accessible inter-city transportation.

 

 

6. A GREEN CHOICE

One train can replace 10 buses or 180 cars when comparing GHG emissions per capacity, according to Environment Canada.

 

 

7. EFFICIENT AND PRODUCTIVE

VIA Rail continues to serve the same number of yearly passengers, while having less

managers (-15%) and fewer workers (-9%) compared to 2009.

 

 

8. PRAISED

VIA Rail is a recognized leader in crossing safety programs (RAC), travel marketing

(Baxter Travel Media Agent’s Choice Award) and customer loyalty (2009 “Company of

the Year” by the Association du marketing relationnel).

 

 

9. A “TREASURED” COMPANY

In 2013, VIA’s iconic train, The Canadian, will be featured on Canada’s new 10-dollar bill.

 

 

10. TO BE CELEBRATED

In 2017, Canada will celebrate its 150th anniversary while VIA Rail will mark its 40th.

 

 

11. CONNECTED

Our trains connect with more than 15 other passenger carriers, including Air Transat, GO Transit and Zipcar, providing Canadians more end-to-end travel options.
 

12. THE FASTEST WI-FI ON RAILS

Our world-class mobile Wi-Fi is one of the fastest systems on any passenger service.

In one weekend, it can handle the equivalent of 1 million email exchanges.

About Yves Desjardins-Siciliano

Yves Desjardins-Siciliano
Yves Desjardins-Siciliano was appointed President and CEO of VIA Rail in May, 2014. Prior to his appointment, Mr. Desjardins-Siciliano was the Corporation's Chief Corporate & Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary. He has over 30 years’ experience in legal, regulatory and government relations, business and corporate development, marketing communications and finance. Past President of the Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Division, Mr. Desjardins-Siciliano was also Chief of Staff to the federal Minister of Labour and Minister of State for Transport from 1989 to 1991.
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

11 + = 20

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS